Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rewards of Running on the Beautiful North Shore


Click here to support North Shore Search and Rescue "Claire Lambert"

 
Thanks everyone who has been super supportive over the last few months as I venture into my last month of training. I am raising funds for the North Shore Search and Rescue, which is an amazing organization. Over the past 40 years in service, fueled by volunteers, they have attended over 1000 calls, which over 25% have been related to serious injury or death.
North Shore Rescue does not just work on the mountain, please take the time to educate yourself on their role.  You or someone you love may need them at some point. 
Hats off to these people.  On call 24/7. We, the public are not charged anything if they come to our sides in need of help, hence why I believe it is important to have their backs.
Please consider participant:  "Claire Lambert"



This was a great week for photos, Sunday was my longest run ever on my feet. Even though I have run a couple of marathons, this is completely different territory. Its NOT FLAT!!!

I am definitley going to try out my dancing skills once this is done because the run is like a dance. I often feel like a football player practicing between the tires as you are trying to get from point to point. (Considering I was asked to NOT participate in the Jazz Dance Year End Show in grade 8 by the dance teacher, I would like to give it another shot now...)


Sunday was all about getting hours on our legs in. I did 05:30 hours. From 7:30 am until 1:00 pm. Started in Deep Cove on the Baden Powell and turned around after 02:40 hrs (32km for me) to head back to our starting point.



It wasn't a cake walk, but honestly, I felt really good and strong the entire run. (Good sign I hope) We all have our good and bad days, this just happened to be a good one for me.


Deep Cove is so gorgeous. It really is. If you ever get the chance to spend a day there, put it on your list of  "to do's" this summer.


We met in the parking lot, there were about 70 odd people I think. Some of the most Elite of the crew were there, just flying with big bright smiles.



Now is a great time to be finding out what fuel works best for you. I think I have found my favorites. I seem to go a bit sideways with the Gu's so I have found some great products that suit me well.


BEST REWARD THUS FAR...


The reward of our run today was a surprise to me at the end of it. Jumping off the trail, still feeling strong and (ok, a little bit dodgy) following some of the crew into the Ocean.
We soaked up to our bellies. The aching of my back and tired legs was instantly removed like magic.  It was magic actually. Standing in cold water, not even feeling the temputure, shoes and all, looking around at the smiles and the gorgeous view...It was a great finish.




Last night was Wednesday. Again, an "unofficial" training session. We started at the Cleveland Dam and ran up to Hollyburn Ski Camp. It was 15km even-steven. My legs actually felt a little dead, and I seemed very slow. Thats okay though. Im here. I have made it another week without injury, getting lost to the point of no return and just trying to take all of my good and not so great lessons in check.


I made sure this week that I was properly organized incase for some odd reason, I ran into trouble like last week.
Fuel (water and a bar in my bag) I have my phone charged (not always in range - but I do have it) an emergency blanket in my Jet pack too...as well as a map of directions.
GOOD TO GO!

This shot was near Hollyburn Ski School, so pretty, I am glad I got to experience the running through consistant snow for a period of time because Im pretty sure it will still be there in 30 days!!!


The highlight of this run was running with some new faces ANDDDDDDD RUNNNNING THROUGH SNOW for ages!


This is the destination, where there is water to fill up if needed or just put on new lipstick. Of course, my choice was lipstick...



Wow, that was fun, challenging, but laughed plenty as I tried to stay off my butt. (I did manage to do this at the expense of not looking very classy Im sure - guess my "runway" days are over - not too many 5' runway models in demand these days...)


Running back down through British Properties was this view. I sometimes see it, sometimes it is clouded over...so here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment