Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lesson 8: Sometimes You Need To Turn Around To See The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Couple things about me. I live an hour from the training runs by car...on a non-congested day.

I also am a believer in the fact that you only have yourself to question when you don't achieve something when you don't put the time and effort in. The "what if's"....
This is something I have learned through life experience.
Another "major" is that I have made some major changes in my life to get me on the path I am heading...Major.
Anyway, point is that I have a lot on my plate. Which, I like to be honest because it is all positive, good and quite frankley, it is the way I roll. 
There is a difference between doing the right thing and doing the thing you think you should be doing...
Yesterday was training day. I had my bag packed, even organized my food. I was good to go!
I completed a program at the JI and was leaving there with a certificate and a big smile with my gear on.
But that didn't happen....well it did, just without the smile.
I felt totally bombarded with all of the elements that I have to complete or have just completed this week.
A Physical Challenge for a career opportunity, kiddies, deadlines, tests...blah blah blah...I drove alllllllll the way to the North Shore feeling stressed, knowing "if I just got my foot on the trail"...but what if I got injured and couldn't compete saturday? When will I find a babysitter for next week? When, where, who, how, what....I was mentally bagged.
To make a short story long, I parked about 800 meters outside of the Dam and tried to make a smart decision.
Was it in my best interest to risk myself this week? Or would my pride and stubborn self get in the way and go anyways?

I turned around with BIG tear drops and all. Sounds silly, I know...but I did it anyway. Drove an hour and a half home without even a sweat. I had salt all over my face, which I would have had if I had run anyways I guess....

Ironically, I thought of what I wrote last week...I didn't follow it. Or maybe I did. Depends how you look at it...
Heading home I took a  picture. (I always do this type of thing) to remind me of days when I might need reminding (weird, I know)...when I looked at it later, I realized you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even if I am heading in a different direction.

Got home pealed off my gear all puffy, frustrated and a little disappointed in my behavior. I went to throw it in my laundry room where I keep my pin board and noticed there was something of my daughters on there. It's MY little place of solitare. I put all my maps for upcoming events and bibs etc on it. I think it is my favourite room! She had tacked up her shirt and bib from the Kids Sun Run from a couple of weeks ago. Something we did together and we were both very proud of.Miraculously I feet 100 % better on my decision.

Lesson 8 Therefore is: Sometimes you need to turn around to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 comment: