Monday, May 21, 2012

Comrades, Lessons, Rewards And Never-ending Hunger

This was a very fun week of training. Wednesday at training we did the BCMC trail which runs near the Grouse Grind. It is quite spectacular to be on actually, the steepness of it won't even let you stand totally straight for most of the trek, as you might fall backwards if you do (or on your belly forwards).
My legs and back are getting stronger each time out with this amazing group that does not ever seem to stop moving their legs.
I know what gets me through it is just the pure beauty, the fact that I want to be here to learn and become better and above all the stories that emerge on these trains. There is a lot of laughter and funny stories to be told.


Nearer the top (as in the last 10-15 minutes) it became very snowy. It was really fun to see and be apart of. Please keep in mind, Im using my phone camera, so they non of these views are done justice.
The sounds of water in a constant trickle as it is melting off the mountain, the sound of Grouse (which I have yet to see) and the pittering of toes on the snow slushing or crushing through, or running over rocks or mud or dirt or roots...is very rewarding.


Today my rewards were the view of running through snow and feeling the heat of the sun hit my back near the top of Grouse Mountain.


Some ran down, some took the tram down to save their knees. I went back down by foot to work on my technique. (I need all the practice I can get to keep up with these people)

So the HUNGER has set in. Oh boy!
I have been famished, and I feel greedy saying that because I know damn well I eat more than many. But for me, a city girl with access to whatever she wants at her disposal food wise in Canada...I am starving!!!


Typically, I will have a Shake for my breakfast with a banana, little almond butter, skim milk and Visalus.Vega also has a great shake that I use too. It usually does the trick...but not anymore. I could eat the paper off my desk by 9 am.
So, I have just started adding a product called "HOLY CRAP" it is very scruptious. Full of seeds and all sorts of birdy type stuff....I think it is helping...regardless it is adding some more calories to me in the am and a little extra flavor. There are lots of ways to eat it, add it to yogurt or whatever suits you... give it a go. It is made on Salt Spring Island and is Vegan, also it is Super healthy and was on the TV show "Dragon's Den" You can find it at Save on or Thrifty's, or online. (Plus, I love the name)


Sunday's train was so great. Not because of the 7km run UP a damn road (Mountain Hwy) that was grewling. No fun. Thought it would never end...But the fact that everything else happened the way it did.


I got there just before 8 (left home at 7) parked, potty and walked over to the group of clean faces wearing their "jet packs" in the parking lot. I have noticed what I thought to be a familiar face to me. Finally, I had the opportunity to ask this man If I knew him. He said he knew me too...after about 3 questions we figured out we use to work for the same Brokerage house back in the 90's. I was so happy by the end of this run that I had finally asked him.


We took off up the trail of steep terrain. Man, it was steep, but I am getting use to it and even starting to recognize certain rocks and trees...funny, as I can get lost in a shopping mall with more than one corridore. (Progress)
He was behind me and we didn't take long to start talking about life, lessons, work, family, locations...oh and pretty much anything you can think of over 18km. When training I never assume I will be with the same person or people each time, as every day you feel different (physically), but I have found a few "friends" that I seem to always see for a step or two which I thoroughly enjoy.


When we were on the looooong road up to the top of Grouse (did I mention 7km of incline, mind-numbing gravel road?)



About 5km up the road we saw something that was the "Reward of the day" a Grouse!
Here is a close up...and then my silly picture.
They are so beautiful! He had his feathers fanned out, truly magnificent and make a very pretty sound.
This is where we found another runner, whom I met at a race back in the fall. I was so happy to see that she made the Knee Knacker too. Although I didn't really know her at the time, I totally enjoyed the Phantom race because of her and knew we would end up friends. She was behind us when we saw the Grouse.
As usual, Curiosity had the better of me and I was creeping around trying to take a photo of the bird when She yells out "Is there a bear?"  I laughed after saying do you think I would be trying to catch up with a bear?
Clearly she has me figured out already, as she said that she wouldn't put it passed me; I am curious...





As it started to get colder, my old co-mate started to tell us an amazing story about an Ultra Marathon that he did in South Africa.  This race is called the Comrades Marathon.
It is a 52 Mile; 90km foot run along the roads.
It was established in 1886 by a South Africa War Vetran named Vic Clapham whom wanted to honour his Comrades by remembering and honouring them in a unique way where a person's physical frailties could be overcome.  Where the pains, agonies, death and hardships of his Comrades which he witnessed during these awful days left a lasting impression on the battle-hardened Solider.  Especially the camaraderie endangered among the men in these privations.


Thus, he started a marathon. An Ultra. In 1886.  In 1925 the first woman ran it, In 1975 it became open to all races.


Please keep in mind when I tell this story, that this race is about being a team player...
30 odd years ago my new friend was running this race with his friend. There was also a gentleman that he knew that was racing. This particular man was the head master of his son's school. Thus the knew eachother. The head master was very competative, always had to finish first. Every time there was a run, he had to be first.
On Race day, my new friend and his mate were running along. They see the Head Master on the side of the road, he was obviously in extreme agony and had over done it too early in the race. There were still more than 30km to go. He was just about to get into a van to shuttle him back to the start and succome to a "DNF" (did not finish)
The two men stopped and talked to him. He told them that he was spent, totally done. Couldn't go on, that he was quiting. They knew the Head Masters mental state was something that he was not use to experiencing. They encouraged him to not get in the vehicle, yet they would walk with him for a km and see how he felt.
After the km, they tried jogging with him, then they walked again, then they tried running, then walked again, then they did this over and over again..the two GENTLEMEN truly proved the point of this race by sticking by their fallen solider.  When there was less than a km to the finish line in site the most unimaginable thing happened ( you won't believe this). The Head Master took off like a shot and left the two in his dust by finishing first before them.
The two looked at eachother and said "what the f#$% just happed?
30 years later and he still can't believe it.
I don't blame him.  I will never forget this story. It is truly amazing.
I wonder if the Head Master ever did regret his decision to leave the men that day. Or if he even thought twice about it. What a shame.
My new friend did say though that when they got to the finish, the Head Master did say, "I beat you!"


The race this year is June 2, 2012 in South Africa.
http://www.comradesmarathon.com/




As we reached the end of our run we literally ran (ok, walked) across a ski run with skiiers and snowboarders blazing by. It was so much fun, we stopped to take it all in.
It was awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment