Monday, May 14, 2012

I Think That I Actually Met A Fairy God Mother.

It was a fun physical week.  Starting to step-it-up which I knew was going to happen, and totally ready for it. Saturday was the Spartan Race; bit of a warm up for our Tough Mudder coming up soon. It was only a 5km obstacle race, but was really fun, and got to do lots of different things (climbing 10' wall, crawling under barbed wire through mud, rock wall, running, carrying rocks, balance beam, blah-blah-blah. My sister-in-law could have kicked my butt, but she didn't. (Maybe because I was her ride home)

Sunday was my first "Official Run" with the gang. There were about 60 people in the Grouse Parking lot for 8am. Lots of new faces (ok, they are all new to me...but many I had not seen at any of the "unofficial runs")
If you can imagine what a fit little Fairy God Mother looks like with running gear and a long blonde ponytail, well then...I actually met her. The Sweetest little lady was organizing the run and was just so lovely. I can't explain her. Besides the fact that she made anyone NEW stick there hands up (numerous times) Yes...I did feel like a sore thumb; but I was grateful, as it did actually help.

She told all the runner that knew the trail to look out for "these people...keep them on track".
It helped, I know this because I felt like there was some special effort made to us newbies from those kind enough to share advice or keep an eye on us. I did get off trail 3 times. Even if it is just a few feet up or down, it is amazing how quickly it can happen and how easy it is to loose the markers.
One lady "The Teacher" was just awesome. She was exactly that. Wouldn't pass me; just on my tail talking to me telling me what to do; or not too; look up...find the "BP Triangle" on the trees...look at your feet, now look up, do you see it?
She was great. I learned a lot from her.

My next buddy was from somewhere far away, he is on a Visa; met a great Canadian gal treking where Orienteering is the way they trail race. No race is less than 10 hours! He was great. We ran about 12 km together. He loves it here and made me feel very proud to have this in our own back yard. I could see that he would love to stay in Canada and I hope it works out for him. For now he is a Knee Knacker. What a great thing to experience in B.C.

My only real lesson this week was that I need to take better care of my feet!
So Lesson 10: Keep your toenails super-duper (Yes, I just said super-duper) short. Ouch.
Bruised. Likely going to loose one or two for sure. (Great, just in time for pedicure season)

I love my new Jet Pack too. Ooooh, it is awesome. Had my Vega sport in the bladder and some sport beans to get me through.
It was 17km paced trail run and took me 03:38. Im sure that I was a slow one, but thats ok. Im out there and enjoying it tremendously.

I had a shake before my run for my breakie and had a frozen one defrosting in my car (which was perfect by the time I made it back to the car) Felt great, other than the toes.

Lucky me, came home to homemade Mother's day cards and a great friend that helped mind the kiddies while I was gone.
It is an interesting situation; I know all parents feel it...GUILT. Believe me I am one of them.
But I also believe that (and as I explained to the kiddies and have done so before) how I want them to have passion,  give 100 percent to achieve their goals and do what ever activity makes them happy.
Just because I am a Mum, does not mean that my dreams can no longer be achieved.  Infact,  I hope that they are learning from my "way of making it happen" that they can use it as a tool for their lives. I will always make sure they are cared for, support them and help them where and when I can, but expect the same of myself.

It was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment